As the official publication of the County Judges and Commissioners Association of Texas, County Progress was authorized by the organization’s constitution of 1923. The magazine covers all 254 Texas counties and is the only publication in Texas – and one of the few in the country – devoted specifically to County Judges and County Commissioners.
Wichita County Judge B.D. Sartin established County Progress, which published its inaugural issue in March of 1924.
After Sartin was elected district judge, he missed several months of publication during the early 1930s, and the magazine was sold to Wendell Mayes and Ruel McDaniel, who moved the publication to Brownwood.
John Blake became associated with the magazine soon after Mayes and McDaniel, and County Progress has been published every month since.
Clark Coursey was hired as editor of County Progress in 1941, a position he held until his death in 1978. Coursey bought a half-interest in the magazine in the 1940s and later purchased the entire publication.
After Coursey’s death, his wife, Melba, headed the magazine for about 18 months before turning over operations to their sons, Pat and Sam, who had been working with the magazine.
The Coursey brothers published the magazine until 1996, when it was bought by H.C. Zachry of Zachry Publications, and operations were moved to Abilene.
Julie Anderson serves as editor, Amy Drennan manages all advertising. Additional team members include Becky Frost, president; Sarah Lazarowitz, events director; Garner Roberts, writer; and Eron Granneman, art director.
All county judges and commissioners receive a copy of County Progress each month through membership in the Association. Every legislator in Texas also receives a monthly copy.