What is the procedure for setting the salary of elected officials?
Texas Local Government Code Section 152.013
- Every year, the Commissioners Court “shall set” the salary, expenses and allowances of elected county officials.
- These salaries must be set at a regular meeting of Commissioners Court during the regular budget hearing and adoption proceedings.
- Before the 10th day before the date of the meeting, the Commissioners Court must publish in a newspaper of general circulation in the county the following information:
- any salaries, expenses, or allowances that are proposed to be increased; and
- the amount of the proposed increases.
- Before filing the annual budget with the county clerk, the Commissioners Court is required to give to each elected county and precinct officer written notice of the officer’s salary and personal expenses to be included in the budget.
- The salary cannot be changed during the fiscal year.